Monday, April 01, 2013

Potatoes Romanoff

I offered to take a potato dish out to our friends' Resurrection Day celebration and potluck yesterday afternoon.  After pondering my options for nearly 30 minutes, I decided to make something that has been one of my favorite comfort food side dishes since high school days (one that was an Almira Community Church potluck staple around that time). Potatoes, sour cream, cheese and green onions--can you go wrong with any of those ingredients?

Here is the ingredient list and recipe instructions with my modifications:

8 medium potatoes (boiled in salted water with jackets on--I baked them this time around)
2 c. sour cream
8 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts!)
2-1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese (I probably used at least 3 c.--cheese is good!)
1 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. pepper (depending upon your preference--I tend to err on the side of more)
paprika

Remove jackets/peels from potatoes and shred them with a cheese grater.  Combine potatoes, sour cream, onions, 2/3 cheese, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Place mixture in a greased 9"x13" pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and paprika.  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.

You can make this dish ahead and refrigerate overnight.  If you do this, you will need to bake the potatoes for 60 minutes.  We would often "cheat" with the potatoes when preparing this dish while I still lived at home and would use store-bought frozen hashbrown potatoes.  The frozen potatoes do work well; however, you need to bake the dish for at least 60 minutes. In my experience, fresh grated potatoes tend to absorb the flavors of the sour cream, onion and cheese more readily.  This dish can't be beat whatever way you choose to make it though. Enjoy!

No comments: