Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Family Movie Night Fun

Maybe I'm using the word "fun" a little bit loosely here with regard to last night's Family Movie Night. :)  I live in a house where testosterone runs rampant.  This mama can only take so much of The Avengers, superhero movies, war flicks, etc.--those things that the male members (who outnumber me 4:1 now that we have a puppy) of my household enjoy thoroughly.  So, when it is my turn to pick the movie, I tend to throw them a curveball.  The 11-year-old member of my household usually says, "Please, no movies with love." or "This better not have any mushy stuff in it." The almost 9-year-old is not quite as opposed to movies with those types of themes as his elder brother.

Last night's movie choice was the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I think the last time I watched this was when I was either ten or eleven and was staying with my grandparents. Needless to say, it has been awhile since I have seen it.  Oh my, how I enjoyed watching it last night though! :)  Here are a few comments that I heard throughout the evening (or things that elicited laughter).

"I really DON'T like musicals. They sing, like, every-other-word!" said the 11-year-old. The irony in this statement is the fact that he sings nearly every-other word out of his mouth! Living with him is like being a part of a living musical.

"Aidan seems to like [the movie]." I said as my little man was snuggled up next to me on the couch.

"Of course Aidan likes it.  There's dancing.  He likes anything with dancing, some fighting and a little romance." explains the 11-year-old in his matter-of-fact manner.  Said comment elicits much laughter from his parents.  Aidan just smiles.

Millie, one of the characters in the movie, tells her six unmarried brothers-in-law things to say to the girl they are wanting to court.  One of the things she said is to call her "My Precious." This comment brought out a loud guffaw from the couch.  Rob and I look at each other and commented how David would probably use that very phrase with the girl he courts someday.  Then David laughingly says, "Hey! Gollum would have NO problems courting!" I should probably mention that we recently watched The Hobbit, and that David has a bit of an obsession with Gollum--to the point that he calls all of us or anything of his current desire "my precious."

I'm happy that my guys humored the lone female of the house with watching this musical.  Seeing it again brought me so much joy.  I think that they all enjoyed it too.  At the very least, we made fun memories! :)

No comments: