Friday, February 13, 2009

Hmmm...

Tomorrow is Valentine's day and it's also the D-man's 7th birthday. Wow. Where has the time gone? Can my firstborn really and truly be turning 7 tomorrow?

I've nearly completed all of the preparations for his birthday (decor, gift wrapping, etc.). There is a birthday pennant banner that I just constructed from my scrapbooking/stamping stash--honey, I do use that stuff! :) that needs to be hung up. Birthday cake needs to be made, but at least it's starting to look a bit festive around here.

However, at the same time, I feel a little bit of envy toward my friends who are making all sorts of fun Valentine's day plans. The hearts, scavenger hunts, heart-shape pancakes (we'll be having homemade donuts though), special themed-lunches, decorating in the pink, white & red with hearts everywhere...sigh. There is a part of me who really misses getting to do that, but I guess that one major plus to choosing to celebrate David's birthday on his birth-date is that we don't have to fight the crowds when Rob and I go on our "Valentine's day" date. :) And, I do sit and remember that 'D' is my best Valentine's day present ever--a fact that he will freely tell anyone when they comment that his birthday is on this particular holiday.

2 comments:

Kelly T said...

I never minded as a kid, combining the two special days:) A Vday, Bday...but I see how it's special to separate. Hope it's a special day, sound like it will be with all you have prepared!

Crystal said...

I'm not sure that he minds too much either, but I have always made an effort to keep the 2 as separate as possible just so he feels that is's a special day for him (since none of the rest of us have to compete with a holiday on our birthdays). :) Until I saw on FB that your b-day was coming up, I totally forgot that you and the D-man share a birthday.